Monday, July 1, 2013

Running to me is like love was to Alfred Lord Tennyson...

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I was talking to my running buddy yesterday and expressed to him, how I was coming off a terrible week of training.  No injuries, no excuses... In fact, looking back on the week, I really could have fit my scheduled training runs in if I stayed disciplined.  Frankly, I should be up to about 25 miles per week and this particular week I only ran 13 (extremely disappointing).  What was more disappointing, was that the majority of my mileage for the week, came from my long run of 9 miles!

After talking with him further, we came to the conclusion that it could've been a whole lot worse.  Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem came to mind and I modified it a bit.  I concluded that it's better to have run, than not to have run at all.  Perspective began to set in.  If I ran 2 miles, it would've been better than sitting on the couch and not running at all.  That's about 24 minutes of exercise for me and 24 minutes of exercise is better than no exercise at all.  Right?

Sure, the initial disappointment still hasn't left completely; but, I'm dealing with it.  It's not so much the lower mileage, but the lack of discipline on my part that I'm most upset about.  So, what are you gonna do??  Instead of dwelling on it, we will move into a new week.  A week that we can make a positive change, a week of improvement, a week that I'll be able (with the good Lord's help of course) to reach my goal.

That's the good thing about life's journey and running.  We can always improve...

No comments:

Post a Comment