Monday, July 22, 2013

Camelbak Dart 1.5 Liter Pack review

I've run with my new hydration vest three times. The first was 3.25 miles in the heat and humidity; the second was 5.38 miles, a much better day weather-wise; and yesterday I ran 10.56 miles.  This is my first hydration vest, so I really have nothing else to compare it against outside of having nothing at all.

Running has become exponentially better now and I can focus more on my running, instead of worrying about finding the next gas station to purchase a bottle of water. Then after purchasing the water, running with it in my hands. (I don't know about you, but i can't stand running with anything in my hands)

Another plus is how i now have a place for my keys, my nutrition, my phone and my iPod, outside of the two pockets in my shorts. I can now run without anything weighing me down or creating an awkward bulge in my shorts.

So let's get into the more technical stuff...

(See pictures below for illustration purposes.)
This hydration pack is lightweight and has a 50 oz (1.5L) bladder that is tucked inside of the inner pouch.
The straps are made of a breathable air mesh which does not soak up and hold moisture.

The pack has two main pockets. One is a little larger than the other, on the outside of the pack that will hold items, like keys, wallet, energy gels, etc. 

There is also a pocket on the left strap which can hold a phone. (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the pocket holds this phone very tight. It'll also hold the iPhone if you have one)

My experience with this hydration vest has been a good one so far. On my shorter runs of 3.25 miles and 5.38 miles, I put cold water in the bladder and it stayed cold throughout the entire run. My longer run of 10.55 miles, I decided to put ice in it. This was smart as it kept my water cold until there was no more left.

Now I am heavy runner and a heavy sweater. So I'm always looking to quench my thirst on longer runs. I don't sip water, I siiiiip. I say that because, my bladder was empty around mile 9.5.  This was ok as I was almost done with my run anyway. It would've been nice if it lasted me through the entire run, but I'll make adjustments from this point forward.

My Conclusion:
 
I've come to the conclusion that, this hydration vest can carry a heavy runner like myself thru a half marathon, if the proper adjustments are made on my end. The Camelbak Dart 1.5L is a solid hydration vest and I would recommend it as a beginner's vest. It is less expensive than other hydration vests and works well for newer runners like myself.

I plan to continue running with it and adjusting my strategy for long runs.

I'm happy to answer any questions or comments in the comment box below!

No comments:

Post a Comment