Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Inspired by @Sarah_dietitian "You Can't Outrun Your Fork!"

I've been seriously struggling with my nutrition lately and I don't know what it is.  I just feel myself slipping back into the abyss of quick eats. I'm becoming unfocused on what I take in to fuel my body versus just eating because I may be hungry and taking for granted the fact that I'll just run it off.  Now, before we get too deep into this post, I take full responsibility for my actions.  There's no passing the buck here and no denial of bad judgment like A-Rod and Ryan Braun (don't get me started on these guys... Agh the arrogance).

Anyway, I have a problem and I'm looking for a solution.  My problem is: What do I need to do to get my nutrition back on track?  A few weeks ago, a buddy of mine challenged me to go on a no sugar diet... No sugar, no carbs, etc.  He told me it's serious and will push me to my limits, in so many words.  This challenge has been rolling around in my head ever since he mentioned it and I have been noncommittal about trying it during the month of August.  (I'm still deciding)

I heard about the Paleo diet and how beneficial it was for weight loss.  So, I decided to take action and do some further research.

I just finished reading a blog post by Sarah Danaher "To Paleo Or Not To Paleo... That is the Question".  It explained what the Paleo diet is and it's Pros and Cons.  But, there was a specific thought in the article that just hit me like a ton of bricks... "You Can't Outrun Your Fork".

When I read this, so much clarity came to my mind.  It hit me how important diet is to my running and weight loss.  It reminded me of something an ultrarunner, who runs five 100 mile races a year, told me about a month ago.  He said that fruits and vegetables are the key to running well.  This is truth.

I ran easier and so much more efficient, before I fell off the wagon.  My times were better and it didn't seem that I was working as hard as I've been working more recently.  (It could also be the heat o_O... I'm just saying)

So with this information and more information to come, this is how I plan to proceed...

I'll continue to do research on the Paleo diet and by July 31st, I will make a decision on whether I will make an attempt at the Paleo diet for the month of August or some other approach to getting back on track.  Whatever my decision is, I will post my progress throughout the month of August so that you can benefit from my experiences.

If you've fallen off the wagon too, maybe we can help each other to get back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment