Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pre-race Strategies and Goals for Inaugural Charles Street 12 Race

It's Friday morning, that I'm writing this post and I'm pretty amped up right now.  I've been thinking about this race all week.  It's actually been longer than that, but the pit of my stomach has been pounding with nervousness and excitement for the last five days or so.  It's my very first long distance race and I wanted to jot down my goals and strategies for the race.

Goals:

1) I want to finish in 2:30 or better. - They say you shouldn't put a time goal on your first race, just cover the distance.  But, I'm always looking for a challenge or something to shoot for.  My training run of 12 miles was completed in 2:36.  I've had several 10 mile training runs that I was able to completed in less than 2 hours.  Races push the pace, so I feel if I can finish between 2:25 and 2:30 I'll be happy.  (Actually, I'll be happy when I cross the finish line... So, I'll be happy in any event.)

2) Finish with no injuries. - I'm thankful that I've been able to train up until this point with no significant injuries.  I hope to continue that streak with the help of the good Lord.  My first half marathon is planned for next month, so I've got to stay healthy in order to do well in that race.

3) Be in the moment at all times. - I want to experience this race fully, while running...  Enjoy the people around me, the atmosphere, the scenery.  This is the Inaugural running of the Charles Street 12 and I want to make sure that I'm not so focused on time and running strong that I don't take in the entire experience.

Strategies:

1) Start out slow. - I'm already going to be pumped and the juices are going to be flowing.  So, I need to make sure that I stay disciplined and run this race with patience.  I don't want to make the mistake of starting out too fast and burning myself out by mile 6.  I set my Garmin Virtual Pacer and intend to run at a 12:30 pace over the first half and dependent upon how I feel I'll pick my pace up.

2) Don't over hydrate and take nutrition at the proper times. - I've been hydrating all week and I'll be making sure to hydrate all day today.  I don't normally eat anything before my runs.  I may eat a Honey Stinger Waffle 15 minutes before the race begins.  Depending on the weather I normally don't start sipping water until about mile 3.  If it's warmer, I'll drink sooner.  I'll then take a gel or waffle around mile 6 and another around mile 9.  I shouldn't need anything after that, but, that'll be determined in the race.

3) Just be steady. - I know my limitations, I know my abilities and my training has gotten me to this point.  Stick with the plan and everything will be fine.

I'm just keeping it simple.  Nothing outrageous. I don't want to do too much and I want to stay focused on just finishing the race.

I'll see you after!!

No comments:

Post a Comment