Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My First Training Run of Half Marathon Distance... 13.1 miles.

The plan was to use the momentum from the last week's 12 mile race and go into this weekend's long run looking to reach 13 miles.  The week started out with great short runs of: 2 miles, 6 miles and 4 miles.  I knew that by Saturday, I was on track to have a high mileage week.  In fact, it would become the highest mileage week I've ever had.

The plan worked.  I woke up pretty jacked and ready to work towards my newest micro-goal.  My first half marathon, which is the ultimate goal, was less than 4 weeks away and I want to go into that race knowing that I've covered the distance at least once.  I decided to run my normal weekly route for the familiarity.  But then I continued running a few miles further to reach my half way point of 6.55 miles.  The furthest I'd ever run on this particular route was 3 miles out and then I'd turn around to come back.  So, this was even more of a new experience.

My first mile is never a good mile and this is understandable, because I’m running pretty cold at this point.  I do some light stretching of my hamstrings and quads, but other than that I don’t do any warm ups.  Some may say that this is not the best way to go, but, I haven’t gotten injured yet and I pray that I don’t in the future.  I’m all for whatever works for you.

After the first mile and a half, I began to settle down a bit and get in a good rhythm.  I felt strong and just kept working and progressing through my run.  Around mile 4, I was in an area that I’ve driven through many times before… But, I’ve never run through it.  It’s amazing how much you see while running that you don’t see driving.  I saw and took in so much more than I normally would, like the smell of the bacon from the neighborhood IHOP!!  Yummm....

I passed a high school, a few shopping centers and other restaurants between miles 4 -6.  As I got to mile 6, I came upon a pretty steep hill.  In order to reach the 6.55 mark, I had to climb.  I thought about changing directions or choosing a flatter option, but, it’s nothing like testing and pushing yourself in training runs.  I mean, that is why we train, right?







Frankly, I’ve noticed that hills don’t tend to bother me much and I seem to be able to climb them pretty easily.  So, I started trekking up the hill.  While I'm thinking about this right now, I’d like to make a suggestion about hills… The suggestion is: never look more than 5-7 feet in front of you while climbing a hill.  It provides the illusion of the road being flat and it changes the mental challenge of thinking you’re running up hill to a much easier challenge.

Now, back to the run...

I was able to get up the hill and I was reaching the halfway mark of my run.  At this point, I felt fine and didn’t have any major issues.  I had taken my nutrition at the proper times and was able to keep moving forward.

On my way back, I saw many runners who also had hydration vests/packs.  I remember thinking this must be a long run day for them too.  I actually had somewhat of a feeling of satisfaction, because they looked like they were beginning and I was more than half done.  The sun was out at this point and I knew that it would get tougher the longer they were out there.

Miles 8-11 passed right on schedule.  Nothing to report, outside of me trying the Margarita flavored Clif Shot Blocks.  My buddy, who is running the half marathon with me in a few weeks told me about them and gave them raving reviews.  These weren’t bad and came in handy, as I would tend to get little cramps around mile 10.  I took them at mile 8, so that they would already be in my system by mile 10 and didn’t have one cramp at all.  I kept sipping my water and continued my journey.

I didn’t forget to take my final energy gel to carry me through the end of my run.  This was a good thing.  Over the last few training distances of 10-12 miles and even the 12 mile race last week, I had forgotten to take my final energy gel and I always felt the effects of it too.



Just a gentle reminder... Always take your energy/nutrition at the proper times or it can throw your run off schedule.  Extremely important!

I took my final energy gel at mile 10 and was good through my finish.  I felt stronger than I ever have in a previous training run of 11+ miles.

I got back to my car and the distance was 13.01.  I said to myself, there is no way I will have run this 13 miles and not complete that last tenth of a mile.  I ran around the parking lot that my car was located in until I clicked over that 13.1 mile distance.  I had actually covered half-marathon distance!!

I felt so grateful, thankful and humbled that I just did something I’d never done before in my life!!  The feeling is fantastic!!  I’ve never felt this specific feeling of accomplishment before!!  I was confident, that I could definitely cover the distance of my first half marathon.  Now, it’s just a matter of staying focused and getting stronger.  I now need to incorporate some strength training in my schedule.  So, gym… here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment