Friday, June 21, 2013

Ocean City 5k Race Recap

The Ocean City Tri-Running Island 2 Island Half Marathon/5k was my first race of 2013 and my goal was to just run the 5k hard and shoot for a PR of 31 minutes... My stretch goal was to be under 30 minutes.
I hadn't run all week since Tuesday and I found myself getting pretty anxious by Saturday. (I now know that as I prepare for longer races, I'll probably drive myself crazy during taper weeks) I weight trained Wednesday and Thursday and didn't do anything Friday, as I was trying to figure out a routine for race prep. I was also adding mileage each week up to this point and decided to rest my legs a little.
So, as I arrived to the packet pickup, the energy was definitely high. I heard motorcycles roaring all around and this was due to it being bikers weekend in Ocean City. There were people all over, cars blocking the entrance to the hotel, dogs and bikers. But the overall atmosphere was friendly.
I stayed at the Bonita Beach hotel, which was surprisingly not that bad of a hotel to stay in. The hotel employees were accommodating and pleasant. After checking into the hotel, the kids were getting pretty restless and were ready for something to eat, so we stopped at The Dough Roller for dinner. I normally do pizza the day before a long run and so I decided to keep the routine going even though the next day was just 3.1 miles.
We went back to the hotel and I started getting everything ready for my race.
My racing shirt was pretty cool. It was a black tech short with the logo on the chest and back. I pinned my racing bib to the front along with my Boston tribute bib. I was dedicating this race along with all my races of 2013 to all those connected with Boston.
I finally got in the bed and the pure excitement kept me from getting a good night's sleep. I kept waking up every hour on the hour.
It was finally time to get up officially and I was stoked. My family was there, it was my first race of 2013 and I had a goal of running it as hard as I could.
We drove to the start of the race and both the half marathoners and the 5k runners started at the same point. So I arrived extra early to make sure I saw the half marathoners start their race. In that moment, I vowed that I would run the half next year.
As the half marathoners continued, I knew it was almost time for the 5k to begin.
I started to get nervous and I got goosebumps. Excitement overwhelmed me!! We lined up by the DJ and the mayor of Ocean City's daughter gave us the directions.
The gun went off and we were off. I ran the outer border of the course in the beginning so I wouldn't have to worry about dodging around other runners. We ran around the Ocean City Inlet parking lot and onto the boardwalk. The boardwalk was an out and back.
I didn't run with music, as I have not done so for a while. So, I was able to hear all that went on around me. There wasn't much talking, just the sound of feet pounding the boardwalk in a continuous rhythm.
As I got halfway down the boardwalk, we began to see the leaders on their way back. The overall leader was a tiny guy... About 155 lbs, 5 foot 7. I thought to myself how extremely fast he was. He finished in 17 mins and some change. They tell me he actually ran the course twice...
Well, I continued on and decided that I would keep up with a woman who had a Boston dedicated bib similar to mine (which I obtained from Facebook, c/o Marathon Training Academy page). She was ahead of me the entire race and I knew she was running at a good pace that would allow me to run a good race and push myself.
I was surprised at how good I felt throughout the race, considering my legs felt like noodles when we started and I was running a faster pace than I ever had before.
As we continued on, a runner a few yards ahead of me shouted, ".2 miles guys, only .2 miles to go!!" I decided to see what I had. I always remembered someone telling me that pumping my arms will make you run faster... So I tried it. And wow!! My stride opened up!! It felt awesome!! I was running!! I was able to keep this pace up through the finish line. It was like an epiphany!! It was like I found a super power that I could put in my arsenal whenever I battle a particular distance and fight for the finish.
Everything was great!! My wife and kids were at the finish waiting for me, I finished my first race of the season and I hoped to have a good chip time.  Interesting enough, as I got a few yards past the finish, I was still breathing hard and with each breath, I felt like I would throw up. I didn't, but I guess those are the effects of pushing yourself.
There was water, chocolate milk, pretzels and other snacks in brown paper bags. I got a water and looked for the family so we could go get some breakfast.
There were other activities for runners after the race and the half marathoners were still running. But the family and I decided to go back to the hotel and enjoy the rest if the day in Ocean City.
Next year, I'll definitely be running the half. Really looking forward to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment