Thursday, April 18, 2013

Who Am I?

Well... I'm a runner. I saw a quote that stated, "I may not have a runner's body, but I have a runner's heart and that's all I need." In 2010, I went to my doctor and he said that I have high blood pressure. He told me what not to eat and what to start doing. Frankly, I didn't take it seriously... I figured, I can still eat the things I wanted, any time I wanted because I'm still young and well that's what I can do. One evening I was sitting in front of my computer and the room began to spin. I started to lose my balance and, well, I just blacked out. My wife had to assist me from my office in the basement of our home to our bedroom. Now, I'm one blessed guy to have a nurse for a wife and someone who could step in and take care of me when necessary. This episode scared me and I finally began to take my health seriously. Around this time I was about 287 lbs and completely unhealthy. A coworker of my wife's invited me to run in a 5k in memory of her son who passed some years earlier from cancer. I struggled to finish, but I finished it. I enjoyed the atmosphere, was thankful that I was able to experience this and decided that this was something I wanted to do more of. Fast forward to now... I've been running consistently for about 2 years and I'm getting better at it... My times, my breathing and my fitness has improved from when I started and I continue each day as I feel my health is slowly but, steadily coming back. I've lost 40 lbs and I realize more and more that my body, my health and my ability to run is a gift and a responsibility, of which I must be a good steward. I hope you will join me as I continue my journey and endeavor to reach the goals I have set.

No comments:

Post a Comment